How Long Does an Oil Change Take?May 16th, 2019
At Agincourt Nissan in Scarborough, our oil changes take approximately an hour to complete. We, and most other Drive Autogroup dealerships, also offer complimentary on-site car washes when you get an oil change with us, which usually takes about half an hour. Start to finish, we require an hour and a half to fully complete an oil change. During our oil changes, our technicians also take the time to change your oil filter; we use genuine Nissan oil filters to ensure that your vehicle is receiving the parts made specifically for it.
How Often to Get an Oil Change
Oil changes are recommended every 5 000 km to 10 000 km; this varies based on your vehicle’s make and model, and the specific details regarding maintenance schedules can usually be found in a vehicle’s owner manual or on the manufacturer’s website.
As a general rule of thumb:
- Cars from 2010 or newer require oil changes every six months or 8 000 km (whichever comes first)
- 2006 – 2009 models should get an oil change every four months or 8 000 km (whichever comes first)
- Cars from 2005 or older need oil changes every three months or 6 000 km (whichever comes first)
In addition to an oil change, Nissan’s Maintenance Schedule for all vehicles that are 2014 models or newer recommends getting standard maintenance every six months or 8 000 km (whichever comes first). This would include:
- Oil and filter change
- Tire rotation
- Tire pressure adjustment
- Brake inspection
- Toping up all fluids
- Lubricating all door locks, hinges, and handles
What Type of Oil to Use
The type of oil that’s best for your car will vary based on the vehicle’s make and model. Nissan recommends synthetic oil for all of their vehicles that are 2010 models or newer. This is because synthetic oil takes longer to break down, which means you won’t need to get oil changes as often as you would using conventional oil.
Why Oil Changes are so Important
The main reason your oil needs to be changed regularly is because after a period of time, your vehicle’s oil begins to degrade and collect debris. This means the oil cannot clean your engine or lubricate the moving parts correctly
Changing your oil regularly will…
- Help to reduce engine wear and corrosion by ensuring the parts are properly lubricated and by preventing engine components from overheating
- Protect your engine from sludge and dirt build-up by guaranteeing that the oil is able to collect debris (after a period of time, old oil can no longer collect dirt and sludge because it already contains large amounts of debris).
Oil changes are extremely important to keep your vehicle running. They ensure the value of your vehicle, while enhancing the car’s performance, safety and fuel efficiency. Overall, changing your vehicle’s oil regularly will extend the life of your vehicle’s engine.
At Drive Autogroup, we also offer our Shield program at no additional cost with the purchase of any one of our used vehicles. The Shield program offers a one-year warranty on most wearable parts (including brake pads, tires, belts, and wiper inserts), a fifteen-day exchange window, a lifetime engine warranty, a 120-point inspection to ensure the vehicle’s reliability, and more.
Our Shield Program also offers 2.9% financing for 24 months on all certified pre-owned vehicles, available exclusively at Drive Autogroup dealerships.